On the roof of the building you can see two of those large generators with flood lights that are frequently used for road construction projects at night. They were lifted up there with a crane and used to light an area of Shady Grove Yard (A99) where track work was being done. When the work was complete, the contractors took their cranes and went home — leaving the lights on the roof. They were there for several months. Mistakes like this are common at projects that involve multiple crews working overtime (OT) over several days. Many of the employees and supervisors are unfamiliar with the territory. There is little or no communication between shifts. There are typically no plans or blue prints. Tools and materials needed for the job are often not available. People are tired because many of them are working 16 hours straight. One of my coworkers in ATC was seriously electrocuted during this job because another ATC tech (who was a walking zombie due to working OT) replaced a fuse which energized an electrical cabinet with 750 volts from the Third Rail. He was taken to Shady Grove Hospital and fully recovered, but he could have easily been killed instantly. Others haven’t been so lucky.
Join us on Facebook
- Recent derailment reminiscent of Bethesda double derailment several years ago
- Two Year Anniversary of the deaths of Jeff Garrard & Sung Oh
- Metro Admits Liability for June 22, 2009 Wreck
- Overtime Limits Part of Contract Negotiations?
- Excessive Overtime Causes Fatigue
- Cembre Connectors, Part 2
- The true cost of commuting
- The Metro Music Video
- Labor Day
- Forced Overtime
- These Metro Songs are AmazingMetro is testing three safety songs.They're pretty incredible.
- Metro Offers Free Techno MusicTo go along with your fare hikes.From MA:So last night while heading home from Friendship Heights Metro I thought someone had taken over the central PA system and started playing techno, but it turned out to be some sort of speaker error.But it went on for a very very long time, at least more than 30 minutes since that is how long I was there.Metro workers w […]
- Where are the Buses?Wonder why it looks like Metro is only running 30 buses at rush hour? Here's the reason.From Mike:Metro provides an interface for developers for us to get data about the system: bus schedules, bus predictions, bus locations, train information signs, etc.Every once in a while, some of the data goes stale, and we need to prod WMATA to reset something on t […]
- These Metro Songs are Amazing
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.