We call this the “Osama gate”. This is an example of what tens of thousands of Homeland Security dollars will buy. Unfortunately it’s pointless and does not work. It’s pointless because it leads from one secure area to another secure area — Shady Grove Train Yard to the area immediately behind the ‘blockhouse’ at the north (outbound) end of the station platform. Both are non-public areas. In addition, it failed almost immediately — it spins freely in both directions. Not only did it fail, but none of the Metro employees that routinely go through the gate reported that it was broken (myself included) because when it was working properly it was a PITA to use, especially when carrying tools and/or equipment. Transit police, Safety dept personnel, middle and upper management (they park at Shady Grove Yard and then take the train to the Jackson Graham Building, or JGB) all use this gate on a daily basis. To be fair, it’s possible that it was reported and never repaired — that happens regularly. In any case, everyone was happy that they could walk on through without entering the security code. Just to the right (not visible in the photo) is a large gate for vehicle and personnel access. For years before the Osama gate was installed, that gate was routinely left open (and occasionally padlocked). Now the gate has been removed completely, so just to the right of the Osama gate there is a 10 foot wide opening in the fence! It’s a very expensive turnstile — maybe it can be used for spare parts.
Join us on Facebook
- Recent derailment reminiscent of Bethesda double derailment several years ago
- Two Year Anniversary of the deaths of Jeff Garrard & Sung Oh
- Metro Admits Liability for June 22, 2009 Wreck
- Overtime Limits Part of Contract Negotiations?
- Excessive Overtime Causes Fatigue
- Cembre Connectors, Part 2
- The true cost of commuting
- The Metro Music Video
- Labor Day
- Forced Overtime
- These Metro Songs are AmazingMetro is testing three safety songs.They're pretty incredible.
- Metro Offers Free Techno MusicTo go along with your fare hikes.From MA:So last night while heading home from Friendship Heights Metro I thought someone had taken over the central PA system and started playing techno, but it turned out to be some sort of speaker error.But it went on for a very very long time, at least more than 30 minutes since that is how long I was there.Metro workers w […]
- Where are the Buses?Wonder why it looks like Metro is only running 30 buses at rush hour? Here's the reason.From Mike:Metro provides an interface for developers for us to get data about the system: bus schedules, bus predictions, bus locations, train information signs, etc.Every once in a while, some of the data goes stale, and we need to prod WMATA to reset something on t […]
- These Metro Songs are Amazing
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.