We call this the “Osama gate”. This is an example of what tens of thousands of Homeland Security dollars will buy. Unfortunately it’s pointless and does not work. It’s pointless because it leads from one secure area to another secure area — Shady Grove Train Yard to the area immediately behind the ‘blockhouse’ at the north (outbound) end of the station platform. Both are non-public areas. In addition, it failed almost immediately — it spins freely in both directions. Not only did it fail, but none of the Metro employees that routinely go through the gate reported that it was broken (myself included) because when it was working properly it was a PITA to use, especially when carrying tools and/or equipment. Transit police, Safety dept personnel, middle and upper management (they park at Shady Grove Yard and then take the train to the Jackson Graham Building, or JGB) all use this gate on a daily basis. To be fair, it’s possible that it was reported and never repaired — that happens regularly. In any case, everyone was happy that they could walk on through without entering the security code. Just to the right (not visible in the photo) is a large gate for vehicle and personnel access. For years before the Osama gate was installed, that gate was routinely left open (and occasionally padlocked). Now the gate has been removed completely, so just to the right of the Osama gate there is a 10 foot wide opening in the fence! It’s a very expensive turnstile — maybe it can be used for spare parts.
Join us on Facebook
- Recent derailment reminiscent of Bethesda double derailment several years ago
- Two Year Anniversary of the deaths of Jeff Garrard & Sung Oh
- Metro Admits Liability for June 22, 2009 Wreck
- Overtime Limits Part of Contract Negotiations?
- Excessive Overtime Causes Fatigue
- Cembre Connectors, Part 2
- The true cost of commuting
- The Metro Music Video
- Labor Day
- Forced Overtime
- Interpreting Metro SpinSo Metro released its own "customer satisfaction survey" today, and the media gave them a headline they were dying for.OK. Let's break that down because NOTHING Metro says is the real story.First, Metro is comparing the recent data to a survey that was conducted during peak SafeTrack. If people aren't a little happier after that mess, it […]
- Larry Hogan Rides the MetroToday, to sign up Maryland for billions in new Metro funding, Gov. Larry Hogan - R(!) took the Metro, and Metro created an experience for him no rider gets to see.What a hero https://t.co/zdoWI1JcWM— Unsuck DC Metro (@unsuckdcmetro) April 25, 2018 I mean, how bad does a system have to be to get kudos for managing two stops? #wmata— Talya Green (@GreenTalya) […]
- These Metro Songs are AmazingMetro is testing three safety songs.They're pretty incredible.
- Interpreting Metro Spin
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.